Your privacy is very important to us. We designed our data policy to make important disclosures about how you can use Hallo to share with others and how we collect and can use your content and information. We encourage you to read the data policy described at the end of the document, and to use it to help you make informed decisions.
1. Sharing Your Content and Information
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Hallo (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account.
When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
When you use an application, the application may ask for your permission to access your content and information. We require applications to respect your privacy, and your agreement with that application will control how the application can use, store, and transfer that content and information.
You are allowing everyone to access and use your profile information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).
We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Hallo, but you understand that we may use your feedback or suggestions without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).
2. Registration and Account Security
Hallo users provide their information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:
- You will not provide any false personal information on Hallo (profile picture, name, country, location/time zone, language, language level, and personal information).
- You will not create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
- You will not create more than one personal account.
- If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
- You will not use Hallo for your own commercial gain.
- You will not use Hallo if you are under 13.
- You will not use Hallo if you are a convicted sex offender.
- You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
- You will not share your password (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
- You will not transfer your account (including any Page or application you administer) to anyone without first getting our written permission.
If you select a username or similar identifier for your account, we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe it is appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user’s actual name).
If you make a payment for the subscription model or lessons with Hallo teachers, we collect information about the transaction. This includes your payment information, such as your credit or debit card number and other card information, and other account and authentication information, as well as billing, shipping and contact details. Hallo accepts ONLY U.S. dollars. It is the decision of Hallo to provide any monetary refund or reimbursement for services that were paid for including language lessons, subscription level services and downloads of additional content from Hallo or its partners.
4. About Advertisements and Other Commercial Content Served or Enhanced by Hallo
Our goal is to deliver advertising and other commercial or sponsored content that is valuable to our users and advertisers. In order to help us do that, you agree to the following:
- You give us permission to use your name, profile picture, content, and information in connection with commercial, sponsored, or related content served or enhanced by us. This means, for example, that you permit a business or other entity to pay us to display your name and/or profile picture with your content or information, without any compensation to you. If you have selected a specific audience for your content or information, we will respect your choice when we use it. If you are under the age of eighteen (18), you represent that a parent or legal guardian also agrees to this section on your behalf.
- We do not give your content or information to advertisers without your consent.
- You understand that we may not always identify paid services and communications as such.
5. Special Provisions Applicable to Software
If you download or use our software, such as a stand-alone software product, an app, or a browser plugin, you agree that from time to time, the software may download and install upgrades, updates and additional features from us in order to improve, enhance, and further develop the software.
You will not modify, create derivative works of, decompile, or otherwise attempt to extract source code from us, unless you are expressly permitted to do so under an open source license, or we give you express written permission.
We’ll notify you before we make changes to these terms and give you the opportunity to review and comment on the revised terms before continuing to use our Services.
If we make changes to policies, guidelines or other terms referenced in or incorporated by this Statement, we may provide notice on the Terms of Service Page.
Your continued use of Hallo Services, following notice of the changes to our terms, policies or guidelines, constitutes your acceptance of our amended terms, policies or guidelines.
6. Data Policy
Hallo collects the content and other information you provide when you use our services, including when you sign up for an account, create, and communicate with others via chat, audio, or video. We also collect information about how you use our services, such as the types of content you view or engage with, whom you audio/video call with, or the frequency and duration of your activities.
We collect information about the people you are connected to and how you interact with them. We also collect contact information you provide if you upload, sync or import this information (such as an address book) from a device.
Furthermore, we collect information from or about the computers, phones, or other devices where you install or access our services, depending on the permissions you’ve granted. We may associate the information we collect from your different devices, which helps us provide consistent services across your devices. Here are some examples of the device information we collect:
- Attributes such as the operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers.
- Device locations, including specific geographic locations, such as through GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals.
- Connection information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, browser type, language and time zone, mobile phone number and IP address.
- We are passionate about creating engaging and customized experiences for our users. We use all of the information we have to help us provide and support our Services.
- We are able to deliver our services, personalize content, and make suggestions for you by using this information to understand how you use and interact with our services and the people or things you’re connected to and interested in on and off our services.
- We conduct surveys and research, test features in development, and analyze the information we have to evaluate and improve products and services, develop new products or features, and conduct audits and troubleshooting activities.
- We use your information to send you marketing communications, communicate with you about our Services and let you know about our policies and terms. We also use your information to respond to you when you contact us.
- We use the information we have to improve our advertising and measurement systems, so we can show you relevant ads on and off our services and measure the effectiveness and reach of ads and services.
- We use the information we have to help verify accounts and activity, and to promote safety and security on and off of our services, such as by investigating suspicious activity or violations of our terms or policies. We work hard to protect your account using teams of engineers, automated systems, and advanced technology such as encryption and machine learning.
- If the ownership or control of all or part of our services or their assets changes, we may transfer your information to the new owner.
- We work with third party companies who help us provide and improve our services or who use advertising or related products, which makes it possible to operate our company and provide as much free services as possible to language learners all around the world.
- We want our advertising to be as relevant and interesting as the other information you find with our services on Hallo. With this in mind, we use all of the information we have about you to show you relevant ads. We do not share information that personally identifies you (personally identifiable information is information like name or email address that can by itself be used to contact you or identifies who you are) with advertising, measurement or analytics partners unless you give us permission. We may provide these partners with information about the reach and effectiveness of their advertising without providing information that personally identifies you, or if we have aggregated the information so that it does not personally identify you.
- We transfer information to vendors, service providers, and other partners who globally support our business, such as providing technical infrastructure services, analyzing how our services are used, measuring the effectiveness of ads and services, providing customer service, facilitating payments, or conducting academic research and surveys. These partners must adhere to strict confidentiality obligations in a way that is consistent with this Data Policy and the agreements we enter into with them.
Users can delete all data related to their accounts by deleting their accounts on the platform or request data deletion by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will never sell your information as that is unlawful. At anytime, you can request the information that Hallo has on file of you and the devices you use by emailing email@example.com.