What are the teacher requirements to be accepted as a Hallo teacher?
– Speak English with a native or bilingual fluency.
– Have at least 1 year of teaching or tutoring experience.
– Commit to being kind and empathetic towards students.
– Will keep our minimum teacher requirements.
– Have access to Stripe and/or PayPal.
– Have read all FAQs for teachers.
– Schedule and teach at least 2 live classes/week to be able to accept subscribers.
What are the MINIMUM teacher requirements to maintain an active status as a Hallo teacher:
(a) go live with your intro video within 1 week once accepted;
(b) have an up-to-date schedule on your schedules page;
(c) professional profile, video thumbnails, and dress;
(d) at least two 50+ min classes or private lessons/month;
(e) demonstrate native level of fluency with few mistakes;
(f) stay present in class with only relevant pauses;
(g) show video most of the time with exceptions;
(h) use legal, appropriate content as teaching materials;
(i) be kind and empathetic towards all students;
(j) have access to Stripe and/or PayPal; and
(k) don’t take students off of Hallo to teach elsewhere.
Anyone who wishes to become a Hallo teacher goes through a process. It requires hard work, consistency, creativity, problem solving, and passion. These are what we look for in the screening process, and the application process is simple:
1) Review all the teacher requirements and FAQs to make sure you are qualified and passionate about the opportunity
2) If you meet the requirements, install the Hallo app and create a student account
3) Create a 1 min intro video and submit an application through Hallo’s website (https://hallo.tv/teacher)
Once you have submitted your application, you can expect to hear back from us in 1-3 business days. If you do not get an email response, that means you unfortunately were not accepted. We recommend if you are not accepted but still passionate about the opportunity to gain more experience and then reapply.
For Hallo Courses, we have a rigorous on boarding process with more specific requirements to make sure you can provide our students with quality lessons:
1) Teaching experience: At least two years of experience in teaching, tutoring, coaching or mentoring
2) Meet one of the following criteria: A bachelor’s degree in any major related to English or a TEFL/TESOL certification from a trusted organizations such as TESOL and Bridge
3) Work authorization in US or Canada: Legally eligible to work in the U.S. or Canada
4) Reliable technology: Desktop, Laptop, or Macbook and fast and stable internet connection with a high-speed internet connection of ≥ 25 Mb/s
5) Have at least 2 sets of schedules that recur over 4 weeks
If we feel you are a good fit for Hallo Courses, we will invite you to move forward with your application. In this step, you will need to create a 20 min demo lesson based on a specific scenario we provide. We recommend that you take a look at the slides in advance, as this little bit of preparation can benefit you during the lesson. Applicants will be selected based on how well they can explain a principle, how they can work with students to get complete answers, their ESL teaching skills, and their time management skills.
Generally it takes 2-3 business days to hear back from Hallo if you get accepted. If you apply around major holidays it may take a bit longer. To not miss our acceptance email, please make sure to check your email inbox and spam folder regularly (just in case).
If you don’t hear back from us within 7 business days, unfortunately that means you didn’t get accepted, but we hope you don’t become discouraged. We review every applicant carefully and make a decision based on if they are the right fit for Hallo right now. If you gain more teaching experience or qualifications and want to reapply in the future, we might decide then that you are ready to become a teacher on Hallo. Regardless, we hope you will always feel welcome on our app and like an important member of our Hallo community.
Congratulations! Our team is excited to have you join our growing worldwide community of over 1M English learners and hundreds of teachers. Once you are accepted as a teacher, we will send you a short introductory training guide and ask you to send us some final answers to a few short interview questions. Once we receive your answers and are satisfied that we are still a good fit for each other, our team will change your student’s account on Hallo into a teacher account.
As soon as we’ve given you teacher privileges, you can set your schedules and start teaching right away! We are confident that you will find success as long as you are fully committed, disciplined, and focused.